Clinical Biology Section Annual Report 2013-2014
1. Description of the section (view of activities)
CBS regroups specialized pharmacists, expert in the different fields of clinical laboratory medicine (clinical biochemistry, immunology, biological haematology, parasitology, microbiology, molecular biology, genetic, biostatistics and lab quality).
The ExCO of the section consists actually of 6 members. The ExCO was renewed in September 2012. It is actually composed of: a President (Bernard Poggi), a Secretary (Sonia Faria), a Vice-President (Genevieve Durand), and a Treasurer (Alain Mazaleyrat), plus 2 new members will work on newsletter and Congress activities
The new Bureau of the section will work from his election in 2012 for the next 4 years.
2. Mission and goals of the section
Main objective of CBS is “to study and maintain the development and the protection of the scientific and professional interests of all Pharmacists engaged in Clinical Biology and Laboratory Medicine”.
3. Accomplishments activities
The work of the CBS has focused on the following issues in the last few months:
- Development and implementation of a Section Strategic Plan, in accordance with BPP and FIP Strategic Plan.
- How to solve the problem of decreasing CBS membership. The Bureau of the section works with The French National Order of Pharmacists and IPSF president to develop new membership for young clinical biologist.
- Increase involvement of the section in FIP activities through the activities of the Secretary of the section.
- Promote the new European Directive on professional qualifications (approved December 2013) by the participation of the Bureau of the section through the EFLM to the definition of qualification of european clinical biologists.
- Promote CPD for all pharmacists in clinical biology. CPD has begun to be implemented for all clinical biologists in France since the beginning of 2013.
- Expand the role of pharmacists and cooperation with other health professionals for the benefit of patients: organizing therapeutical education of the patient in oral anticoagulation, diabetis, and asthma in collaboration with CPS. It has begun really in France since January 2014.
- Finalizing the program for the BANGKOK FIP Congress 2014
- The executive committee has finalized the program of the half-day joint symposium with the FIP SIG pharmacogenomics on oncology approved by the Bangkok program Committee.
- A visit of a clinical laboratory medicine will also be organized during the Bangkok Congress in accordance with IFCC /Asia-Pacific Federation for Clinical Biochemistry and Laboratory Medicine (APFCB)/ Thailand Association of Clinical Biochemists (TACB) on Tuesday or Wednesday morning.
- Continuing interactions with SIGs of BPS where CBS has involvements.
- Preparing Dusseldorf and Buenos Aires FIP Congresses for 2015 and 2016
- The CBS Bureau will make a proposal during April 2014.
- Launch of a working group on clinical biology practice, in collaboration with Portugal in the first semester 2014.
We have to reorganize the way of communication of the section to be in order with the FIP BPP strategic plan:
Publication of 2 newsletter between March 2013 and now.
The President of FIP/CBS participates as part of FIP/CBS to the International Committee of the French Biological Society (SFBC) and IFCC/EFLM to organize the IFCC/EFLM international congress on clinical Biology in Paris in June 2015.
- Implication in patient safety
In collaboration with IFCC Education and Management Division – WG Laboratory errors and Patient safety, the FIP/CBS participates to the continuing implementation of Model of Quality Indicators (MQI) for Laboratory errors and Patient Safety.
- Collaboration with other sections and external collaboration
- Common session with IFCC each year during the annual FIP Congress since the Vienna FIP Congress in 1999.
- Cooperation with EFLM for the revision of curriculum for qualifications as clinical biologists for UE. The European directive has to be adopted in december 2013 by the European parliament..
- Continuing to participate to IFCC (International Federation for Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine) and EFLM group on quality in Clinical Laboratory medicine;
- EFLM working group on Register for European Clinical Biologists;
- Cooperation with EQALM, organizing Proficiency testing for quality in Clinical Laboratory Medicine
- Organizing scientific sessions with
i. IPSF : CBS participates to Tunisian student congress in September 2013
ii. Arab Federation of Clinical Biology (AFCB) : CBS participates to one-day formation on quality control formation in Marrakech in December 2013